All student athletes are required to complete and submit certificates for either one of two League-approved firearm safety certification programs – a state-approved hunter education certificate or the League’s SAFE certificate. Teams should verify the firearm safety training certification requirements with the shooting range where they will be conducting League events.
Student athletes cannot shoot at an event on a team at any time without a League-approved firearm safety certificate. Certificate numbers are required to be entered into the athlete’s profile by the athlete/parent before the Reserve Week begins. A student athlete that is missing a valid League-approved firearm safety certificate will be removed from the team’s roster when the Reserve Week begins.
LEAGUE-APPROVED FIREARM SAFETY CERTIFICATES
League-approved firearm safety certificates include:
- State-approved hunter education certification. Most states require that hunters complete a certified hunter education course. The hunter education certificate is proof that students have successfully completed a state’s official and approved hunting safety course. A student is allowed to use a different state’s hunter education certificate than their residing state. A team coach will verify the certificate’s authenticity. Check your state’s department of natural resources website for complete hunter education certification information. If the hunter education certificate cannot be obtained by the deadline, then the League’s SAFE Certification is recommended if the shooting range allows it.
- Student Athlete Firearm Education (SAFE) Certification. The League’s SAFE Certification provides an in-depth firearm safety and procedures training program designed specifically for League participants. The cost per student of the SAFE Certificate is $25 and is payable at the beginning of the online course. Refunds are not allowed. The SAFE Certificate is valid only for League participation and cannot be used for obtaining a hunting license. The SAFE Certificate is designed specifically for student athletes and coaches participating in the League.
BENEFITS OF THE SAFE CERTIFICATE
Benefits of the SAFE Certificate include:
- Affordable – about the same as other hunter education classes
- Accessible – available online with tablet, smartphone or computer
- Comprehensive – the online course takes 3-4 hours to complete
- Fun – animated graphics, sound, and interactive learning make it entertaining
- Convenient – progress can be saved at anytime to work around busy schedules
- Relevant – it’s all about clay target shooting sports and firearm safety
- Consistent – everyone will learn the same content from a single source
- Verified – clay target team coaches help complete the SAFE Range Certification
SAFE CERTIFICATE COMPLETION REQUIREMENTS
The SAFE Certification requires the completion of the online AND shooting range certification programs to earn the SAFE Certificate.
Step 1: Complete the SAFE Online Certification program before the athlete registration deadline. To receive access to the SAFE Online Certification, a website link and password is sent when the coach emails the athlete registration invitation to athletes/parents. Upon completion of the online course, the student athlete will receive a confirmation email and PDF certificate.
Step 2: Complete the SAFE Range Certification before the Reserve Week begins. The SAFE Range Certification is conducted at the shooting range and coordinated by the team. Students will participate in a training session conducted by a qualified coach on the team. The 1-2 hour shooting range training will include firearm safety, shooting sport procedures, shooting at clay targets, and range safety requirements. The Instructors must have completed the League’s Coach Leadership And Safety Support (CLASS) Certification program. Instructors will be provided a SAFE Range Certification guide from the League to assist with certification.
SAFE Range Certification completion date is required to be entered into the athlete’s profile by the athlete/parent before the Reserve Week begins. A student athlete that is missing a valid League-approved firearm safety certificate will be removed from the team’s roster when the Reserve Week begins. Coaches can review the athlete’s League-approved firearm safety certificate information and status in their Team Management program.
All student athletes that complete the SAFE Certification receive an official iron-on certificate patch from the USA High School Clay Target League.
If you have questions about the League or the SAFE Certification program, please use the ‘Contact’ form to get in touch.